Hello, Saturday, April 17, 2021
In January, 2011, the New York State Board of Regents adopted the New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy (which include literacy in content area subjects) and for Mathematics. These new standards are to be implemented in most subject areas/courses beginning with the 2012-2013 school year. State assessments will also be revised beginning with the 2012-2013 school year.
According to http://www.corestandards.org/about-the-standards:
These standards are informed by the highest, most effective models from states across the country and countries around the world, and provide teachers and parents with a common understanding of what students are expected to learn. Consistent standards will provide appropriate benchmarks for all students, regardless of where they live.
These standards define the knowledge and skills students should have within their K-12 education careers so that they will graduate high school able to succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing academic college courses and in work force training programs. The standards:
· Are aligned with college and work expectations;
· Are clear, understandable and consistent;
· Include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills;
· Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards;
· Are informed by other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society; and
· Are evidence-based.
We are currently working to update our curriculum to align with the Common Core Learning Standards. Each curriculum map indicates the date it was developed or revised. They are always works in progress.
For additional information on the Common Core Learning Standards please visit: